Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs: How to live before you die | Video on TED.com

The death of one of the most amazing men of my generation came as a shock to all of us on Wednesday October 5, 2011. Steve Jobs, the founder of NeXT, Pixar, and Apple finally could not fight his illnesses any longer. The man started apple with a friend in his home when he was only 20. That is innovation if you ask me. Like other technology leaders of this time, Bill Gates, Zuckerberg, etc, he will be remembered and it is sad to see a man of this genius leave us at the young age of 56.


                “‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”  Steve Jobs

The quote above comes from his speech in 2005 at Stanford University (see link below).  It touches a lot of people, the words.  They should definitely be words we all live by.  We should learn to live each day to the fullest we can, with no regrets, so that if the day comes that it is our last day we can look back and smile.  This is what he did.  He had a vision, and he followed his vision into reality, creating Apple and Pixar, two in a handful of amazing successful companies out there that everyone knows.  The man will continue to flourish even after death.

The day Steve Jobs died, Apple.com had on their homepage these words:
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have build and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.


These words also touch my heart, although I have never met the man.  I can honestly say that Steve Jobs is one of my role models.  I want to live life as he did, be innovative and creative while showing everyone new ideas can come to life if you keep working at it.  I want to be talented with things I enjoy and leave a mark on society that will be forever remembered.  I may never be rich, I may never be as famous as Jobs, but my goal is to be something.  I want to be something to my family and friends and leave something behind for them that make them remember who I was, and what I accomplished.  Mr. Jobs will remain a role model for me as I continue in my career in computers and technology and I will forever be thankful for the things he brought to our world.



Steve Jobs: How to live before you die | Video on TED.com

No comments:

Post a Comment