Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fearing the unfamiliar

What is fear?  The dictionary says "concern or anxiety; solicitude" among other things.  For me fear if that is what you may call it is in fact an anxiety.  I find that in new situations or in making decisions I develop anxiety or a fear of the outcome.  This has gone way back for me, to my adolescence even.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very spontaneous and I love new things and new places, I develop the anxiety to make a decision to get to those things or places that is the problem.  Once the decision is made, or I've gotten where I want to be, usually there is no anxiety and I'm excited and happy about the change.


So here I am writing about this because I want to help find why in fact I have this so-called "fear".   I write to find others whom can relate to me and my experiences.  I write to find answers and understandings, yet have something to reflect on later so I can go back and see how I have grown.  I think deep down inside, I fear outcomes of my decisions.  I fear they will not always be the desired outcome, whether I know what the desired outcome is or not.  Is that making any sense at all?


Ok, so lets take my anxiety I am having over going to the gym for example.  We all know I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy and change my outlook on the physical me.  Yet I constantly avoid the gym for stupid reasons like I don't want people to look at me, or what if I can't keep up with others in the gym.  I tend to focus on the things around me and the people around me instead of my goal for being there and that I'm the most important person in that gym.  I tend to forget why I set that goal in the first place because the idea of changing is scary and I don't know what the final result will be.  Sounds stupid, am I right?  Well that's how I get sometimes and I'm not sure how to overcome it.


I ponder how to overcome my many faults, this just being one of them.  I wonder if it is possible and when it will happen.  Fear is a crazy thing and it effects many people, so there has to be some kind of cure for it.  I hear exercise is great for anxiety and depression, yet I can't seem to get my butt off the couch and do it.  I guess that first step is the hardest and will always be the hardest.  Wish I could find more things to motivate me, besides wanting to help others all the time.  It would be great if I could learn to help myself!

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are already on your way to navigating through all of this. I too have anxiety and get fear stricken when I try to make changes.

    I believe that in my past I have made choices that I was not happy with and ultimately had to deal with consequences that came of those choices. Of course good did also come of the at some point. But, I believe that is one source of where my fear comes from. To over come this reaction, I am working on my self esteem building. To remind myself that its okay to do things wrong and learning is part of life, which wouldn't happen if I did everything right all the time. But, it is a struggle and sometimes I have to just take blind leaps with my decision making and just accept whatever conclusion comes.

    I also feel that sometimes expecting too much change all at one can be difficult. I know that when I try to make huge changes I either fail them or don't really get as far as I originally wanted. Maybe set small goals that are more easily achieved and take time building on them.... That is what has made lasting change for myself I believe. So lets take the gym situation for example.

    Make a goal to hit the gym once a week four weeks. Then add walking twice a week for the next four weeks. Then two trips to the gym for the next four weeks... and so on... It takes between 12-17 times of doing something over and over to make it a habit. So, if you take your time, than it won't be so stressful as you add the change to your life.

    I think you can do anything you set your mind to. Remember to allow the time for growth and permission to be human. Everything else will fall into place.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I am wondering how you are. I'm a follower on your blog and I notice it's been a while since you've posted anything, I hope you're doing good and everything is going ok.
    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete